[pmwiki-users] .epub cookbook

Ben Wilson dausha at gmail.com
Fri Feb 4 15:03:29 CST 2011

On Wed, Jan 26, 2011 at 11:38 AM, Steve Glover <steve.glover at ed.ac.uk> wrote:
> On 26/01/11 16:27, Ben Wilson wrote:
>>
>> Next time you have an epub handy, copy it and rename it to .zip. Then,
>> unzip it... an Epub is essentially a zipped web site.
>
> Ah!
>
>> I have a Ruby script that makes the conversion, but the process is
>> fairly straight forward. Perhaps I should make a recipe. :-)
>
> So does that mean that if we had a page template that excluded all the
> extraneous chrome, such as menu bars, navigation and logos - rather like the
> action=print version of the template, in fact - we could start with a list
> of pages and it would "just work"?
>
> Brilliant!

I would think that calling an action=epub would result in a different
skin that would help format accordingly. That's easily done in
local/config.php (in fact, I use skin=Blah when I'm designing a new
skin, so I see the new skin and everybody else sees the current skin).

>> Then I could write my next novel in PmWiki, as a few of us did a mock
>> encyclopedia.
>
> Sounds like fun. Is there a URL, please?

http://espacesociety.org We worked from about December 2005 until
sometime in 2006, then I spent a few years editing and converting the
format to LaTeX. My current novel writing involves writing in Markdown
and running Ruby commands to convert the book (text of which is
organized by character with one file per scene, but uses a config file
to organize into a seamless narrative) into PDF or epub.

> Cheers
>
> Steve
>
>> On Fri, Jan 21, 2011 at 5:02 PM, Peter Bowers<pbowers at pobox.com>  wrote:

>>> You might try using the PublishPDF recipe and then use something like
>>> this:
>>>
>>> http://www.pdftoepub.com/default.asp
>>>
>>> (Looks like they have a special to get it free if you download it
>>> before the end of January)
>>>
>>> -Peter

> --
> Steve Glover: SDSS, EDINA, Causewayside House, 160 Causewayside EH9 1PR
> e:steve.glover at ed.ac.uk t:0131 650 2908 f:0131 650 3308 m:07961 446 902

Ben Wilson
"We cannot determine the character or nature of a system within
itself. Efforts to do so will only generate confusion and disorder."
Boyd