[pmwiki-users] (:include:) works at site level only

Sun Jul 15 05:59:48 CDT 2012

On Sun, Jul 15, 2012 at 4:35 AM, fergicide <fergicide at gmail.com> wrote:
> Hi Folks.
>
> One issue I'm constantly running into (and haven't solved) is trying to pull
> in wiki content from other sites.
>
> For example, here's my farm structure:
>
> ...rootwiki
> ......story1
> ......story2
> ......story3
>
> When I create a new 'story' sub site, I copy the root wiki.d folder (which
> is basically my story sites template) to the new subfolder and go from
> there.
>
> My problem is, for these story sites I have pages that ideally would pull in
> part of their content from the rootwiki site, to avoid duplication and
> ensure changes to the rootwiki page automatically reflect in the child
> sites.
>
> Ideally I could use (:include wikiroot:grouppage.page:) where wikiroot is
> defined in farmmap.txt and points to the root wiki, or something like that,
> but of course :include: only works at the site level.  I don't want to use
> an iframe via HTML.
>
> Have I overlooked an existing solution?
>
> Many thanks for any ideas.
>
> Cheers,
> Andrew, longtime pmwiki user.

Off the cuff here, but what if you bundled the rootwiki's pages in
your story wikis' $WikiLibDirs array? I do this for pages I might
create in recipes using the method defined in
http://www.pmwiki.org/wiki/Cookbook/ModuleGuidelines. I don't see any
reason why *any* wiki page path couldn't be included in that. The
problem with that is if you modify one of those pages in one of the
story wikis, changes from rootwiki won't show up as the edited page is
now in the story wiki's wiki.d directory.

Another question: why create a whole new wiki for each story? Why not
make each story a group in rootwiki?