[pmwiki-users] New WikiGroups on pmwiki.org [Was: Volunteering for a PITS issue]

Peter Bowers pbowers at pobox.com
Fri Oct 12 08:11:46 CDT 2012

On Fri, Oct 12, 2012 at 2:06 PM, Rogutės Sparnuotos
<rogutes at googlemail.com>wrote:

> I, for one, don't expect to see Skins under pmwiki.org/wiki/Cookbook and
> don't expect recipes under pmwiki.org/wiki/Cookbook/Skins. As someone has
> already mentioned, recipes change/add functionality and skins change the
> look.

This isn't just in the minds of a few (myself included).

I note that drupal.org has themes and modules.  Separate.

I note that wordpress.org has themes and plugins.  Separate.

On the other hand, joomla.org has extensions and ...?  I can't find
skins/themes anywhere.  I'm sure they are there, but because they aren't
clearly part of the top level organization of their site they lose me as a
web developer...

Mediawiki.org has "extensions" with a category of Skins within that -- more
like what pmwiki has now.

Dokuwiki.org says "Customize" and then the smaller-print description
afterwards says explicitly "Plugins & Templates".  Reading a bit further
down the page I see the following menu:

===(snip)===

*Customizing DokuWiki*

   - Tips and Tricks <http://www.dokuwiki.org/tips>
   - Installing plugins <http://www.dokuwiki.org/plugins>
   - How to create and use templates (aka. skins or
themes)<http://www.dokuwiki.org/Template>
   - Development Resources <http://www.dokuwiki.org/development>

Ultimately I suppose it's all semantics -- how broadly do we define
"cookbook" and "recipe"?  Personally I subscribe to the aforementioned
"functionality" definition (as distinguished from the whole-sale
looks-changing "Skin") and so I would like to see skins separate.  But
that's just my $0.02...

-PEter