[pmwiki-users] utf 8 question

Petko Yotov 5ko at 5ko.fr
Wed May 1 09:52:04 CDT 2013

Maria McKinley writes:
> According to the PmWiki UTF-8 page, you add this to your config file to
> enable UTF-8:
>
> include_once("scripts/xlpage-utf-8.php");
> $DefaultPageCharset = array(''=>'ISO-8859-1'); # see below
>
> But, doesn't this mean that it is identifying itself as ISO-8859-1 instead of
> UTF-8? Or am I misunderstanding this?

In the same page it is written

    The $DefaultPageCharset line is there to fix and correctly handle some
    pages with missing or wrong attributes, created by older PmWiki versions.

This means that old PmWiki versions saved some page files like RecentChanges
without a charset attribute. With this line, newer PmWiki versions will know
that if a page file doesn't have a charset attribute, it will consider the
page in the 'ISO-8859-1' charset. (PmWiki needs this in order to convert
those pages to UTF-8).

English is my third best language, if what I wrote in the documentation is
not clear enough, feel free to write it in a better, more understandable
way.

> At any rate, my pages are still
> identifying themselves as ISO-8859-1, and I'd like to figure out how to
> change it to utf-8.

Check your skin template - it shouldn't contain a line like:

But, the skin template should have a line like this:

  <!--HTMLHeader-->

PmWiki will automatically add the correct <meta/> line.

Petko