[pmwiki-users] utf 8 question

Petko Yotov 5ko at 5ko.fr
Wed May 1 17:33:22 CDT 2013

Maria McKinley writes:
> So, I got rid of that line in the skin tmpl file, but I still get the
> encoding as ISO8859-1, and I don't see that PmWiki adding anything about
> utf-8 enabled.

PmWiki adds a <meta/> line for the UTF-8 charset, not in the skin.tmpl
template but in the output HTML of the finished page.

Check if you have modified the skin template that is in use, not another
skin template. Check if you have correctly saved and uploaded the skin
template to the server. Check if it has the <!--HTMLHeader--> line.

Check with another skin, eg. the default one.

Check if you have correctly updated the scripts/xlpage-utf-8.php file, the
other files in the scripts/ directory and pmwiki.php itself.

If your UTF-8 wiki is a field in a WikiFarm, you may need to use

  include_once("$FarmD/scripts/xlpage-utf-8.php");

that is $FarmD/ inserted before scripts.

Check if you don't have a # character before the include_once() line. This
character means that the line is commented out and not processed by PHP.

Check if you don't have some other customization in pmwiki/local/*.php
files, for example a Group.php file setting another skin.

Check if you don't have some caching recipe enabled - if you have, disable
or clear the older cache.

Can I look at the website? If not, send me the skin.tmpl file and the HTML
output of any wiki page, eg. Main.WikiSandbox or PmWiki.PmWiki (open your
browser, navigate to your wiki, from the menu select File-SaveAs then "Web
page (HTML only)").

As you may (or may not) imagine, there are a great number of wikis running
on UTF-8 without any problems, for many years. I feel that you have a
problem with a misconfiguration but I am not sure where it is - if you give
me enough information so that I can reproduce the bug on my installation, it
will be much faster, see http://catb.org/~esr/faqs/smart-questions.html and
http://www.chiark.greenend.org.uk/~sgtatham/bugs.html .

Thanks!
Petko