[pmwiki-users] widi.d file = 0 byte

Petko Yotov 5ko at 5ko.fr
Sat Nov 16 15:30:02 CST 2013

marc-alexis morelle writes:
> an edit of a pmwiki page just produces the same error, with a zero byte file
> (empty) and the file renamed "PageName,new".

Is this "PageName,new" file the new file with the new content which you just
posted? What is the last-modified-date of the file?

Or is this "PageName,new" the zero-byte file?

Is there a file named "PageName" with the old, not modified content?

Or is this "PageName" the zero-byte file?

Or do you have two files "PageName" and "PageName,new" ?

> I am the person how encounterd the problem so i copied the error message :
>
> Warning: fopen(wiki.d/Adiu.Exergue,new) [function.fopen]: failed to open
> stream: Input/output error in /a/pmwiki.php on line 981

This looks like an error when PHP is trying to access the filesystem. But
when this happens PmWiki will not continue and will not remove the existing
file so you will not lose your previous content, only the one you just
posted.

This could happen when you have no more disk space, or if the filesystem is
not accessible, which can sometimes happen with drives mounted over a
network, ex. any kind of NFS - network file system. Which reminds me of the
empty .nfs* file you found: it is possible that your hosting provider is
using such a remote filesystem - if many customers' programs try to write
many files over a network file system, there may be some errors or delays.

> Maybe another problem on online servers can help to explain ? Php sessions
> are impossible... and editing a page ask the password twice.

This may again be a problem with the filesystem and/or the diskspace.

Also, make sure you really use PHP 5.2 because according to the provider's
documentation new plans have PHP 5.4 enabled by default. See

  http://documentation.online.net/fr/hebergement-mutualise/gestion-
web/configuration-php#versions_de_php

and check your .htaccess to use application/x-httpd-php5-2 (or upgrade to
the latest PmWiki version to use PHP 5.4).

Lastly, it is possible that the default PHP installation saves session files
on a different server/disk/partition which may become full or inaccessible.
In that case you can define your own session directory in your disk space.

1. Create the directory "sessions" (or different name) in the directory
where your index.php is.
2. Place there a file .htaccess with the content

   Deny from all

   This is very important for your security.

3. near the beginning of config.php, use such code:

  session_save_path("sessions");

This will only help if the sessions problem does not come from "your"
filesystem.

Petko