[pmwiki-users] widi.d file = 0 byte

Petko Yotov 5ko at 5ko.fr
Sun Nov 17 07:32:40 CST 2013

marc-alexis morelle writes:
>>   session_save_path("sessions");
>> This will only help if the sessions problem does not come from "your"
>> filesystem.
>
> This test do not work : the captcha is not displayed.
> Does that means there is a filesystem problem on Online servers ?
> Is "your filesystem" the Online filesystem, or mine, my pmwiki install ?

It means the filesystem where index.php and that "sessions" directory are.
Your account and not the default directory where PHP saves sessions (/tmp or
elsewhere).

> Le 16/11/2013 22:30, Petko Yotov a écrit :
>> Or do you have two files "PageName" and "PageName,new" ?
>
> The old file is deleted, or renamed in "PageName,New" but emptied. It's date
> is the date and time is the one of the error.

This is not normal. PmWiki creates a new empty file "PageName,new", then
writes inside the new content - wiki text, edit history, and metadata, then
checks if the file is there, if it is not too small. If there is no reported
error on any step, then it deletes the old file, renames "PageName,new" to
"PageName" and fixes its permissions.

While this is done, the wiki.d directory is locked and another user posting
content at the same time will wait until the this one has finished (usually
a few milliseconds) and the directory unlocked.

I cannot easily imagine how the original file is deleted before the "*,new"
file is filled with the new content.

>> ... write many files over a network file system, there may be some
>> errors or delays.
>
> I understand. But there is no delay : it doesn't work anymore. Few days ago,
> the same problem occured, but just once, and a repost worked. Other users on
> Online forums says they have sessions problems.

You understand that if PmWiki worked before, and if it works on many other
environements, then there is something particular on your installation,
which likely changed recently.

>> Also, make sure you really use PHP 5.2 because according to the
>> provider's documentation new plans have PHP 5.4 enabled by default.
>
> Yes. With your help few months ago, Petko, I changed htaccess tou "AddType
> application/x-httpd-php5 .php"
>
>> and check your .htaccess to use application/x-httpd-php5-2 (or upgrade

If you read the documentation I linked, as I did, you would see that using
in .htaccess "x-httpd-php5" will sometimes enable PHP 5.4, sometimes 5.2.
That's why I wrote "check your .htaccess to use application/x-httpd-php5-2".
This is something that has changed since I helped you - there was no 5.4 at
the time.

>> to the latest PmWiki version to use PHP 5.4).
>
> I install this server 9 years ago, and 9 years ago, I was younger :-)
> I know i use an old pmwiki version (1 or 2 years I do'nt update). But I fear
> updating because I use some cookbooks and some customisations...

You can install a clean PmWiki version in a different directory to test if
it works. If it doesn't, there is no point in upgrading the main wiki.

Petko