[pmwiki-users] blank line at start of html output

John Rankin john.rankin at affinity.co.nz
Tue Apr 29 16:11:05 CDT 2014

On 28/04/14 6:35 PM, Petko Yotov wrote:
> John Rankin writes:
>> One more piece of information: removing the ?> from the end of the
>> backup script makes no difference -- still getting a blank line at
>> the start of the page source.
>
> Your messages seem to indicate that when the wiki loads either
> includeurl.php, or backup_pages.php, or both, there is exatcly one,
> not two, blank line ("\n") at the top of the HTML output, but when
> both recipes are commented out and not loaded, there is no blank line(s).
>
> Can you confirm this?
Almost. If either recipe is loaded, there is one blank line. If both are
loaded there are 2 blank lines. Using a regular expression match test,
the blank lines match "\n".

> If yes, I'd check if this is not some Byte Order Mark (BOM), ie. files
> were modified with a text editor and saved in "UTF-8 encoding with
> BOM", while they should be saved "without BOM" in a text editor which
> allows this.
I asked my user to run a wiki page against the W3C html validator and it
doesn't return any validation errors. However, I don't know for sure if
presence of a BOM constitutes an html validation error.

I'll ask him to try saving the files without BOM and see what happens.
We have found a work-around that fixes the problem for PublishPDF that
works for this particular use case, but it is not a general solution, so
it would be good to get to the bottom of this.

There is an example at
http://metastudies.net/pmwiki/pmwiki.php?n=Site.USPatent146407 -- using
View Page Source shows 2 blank lines at the start of the html.

> If no, I'd check any and all files in the pmwiki/local and
> pmwiki/cookbook directories for a closing "?>" marker and for a BOM.
> And all files that the person may have modified in the pmwiki/scripts
> directory.
>
> A BOM for UTF-8 contains 3 characters "\xEF\xBB\xBF". If you don't use
> a compatible text editor, they may appear as weird characters,
> space(s) or may be hidden/invisible - not exactly a new line, but may
> break some parsers.
>
> I tested the two recipes with both PHP 5.3 and 5.5 and I only get a
> blank line with backup_pages.php before I remove the "?>" tag.
Yes, I can't replicate the error either, which makes it hard to diagnose.

> Petko

Thanks
JR

--