[pmwiki-users] quoted text markup

H. Fox haganfox at users.sourceforge.net
Wed Sep 21 23:15:19 CDT 2016

On Tue, Sep 20, 2016 at 11:07 PM, Dominique Faure
<dominique.faure at gmail.com> wrote:
> IMHO and after a look at
> http://www.pmwiki.org/wiki/PmWiki/MarkupMasterIndex, I would suggest
> to keep on using the prefix/suffix pattern that emerges in the
> "Character format" section, and chosse one of:
>
> '"quoted text"'
> {"quoted text"}
> ["quoted text"']

respectively. Support for <q> and <blockquote>'s cite="..." attribute
should be considered.

   '"quoted text"' = <cite> - reference to a creative work
   {"quoted text"} = <q> - inline quotation
   ["quoted text"'] = <blockquote> - extended quotation
   quote|source = cite attribute - source document or message for the
information quoted

The <q> and <blockquote> tags have a cite attribute (e.g. <q
cite="...">...</q>). In other words, perhaps something like this

   Example Company says {"Always properly quote examples."}

would produce

   Example Company says <q>Always properly quote examples.</q>

and this

   Example Company says {"Always properly quote
examples.|http://example.com/Main/Quoting"}

would produce

   Example Company says <q
cite="http://example.com/Main/Quoting">Always properly quote
examples.</q>

Then of course there's the <cite> tag -- not to be confused with the
aforementioned cite attribute.

semantics are:

<cite> => who is being quoted
<q>/<blockquote> => the quoted text
cite attribute => where the text came from

So for the sake of completeness, some markup should probably be able to produce

   <cite>Example Company</cite> says <q
cite="http://example.com/Main/Quoting">Always properly quote
examples.</q>

Perhaps something like this, using the vertical bar (similar to an
optional image caption).

   '"Example Company"' says {"Always properly quote
examples.|http://example.com/Main/Quoting"}

Blockquote for extended quotation would be similar.

      '"Example Company"' says ["Always properly quote examples, even
if your quotes have "quotation marks" in the quoted text. Blah,
blah...|http://example.com/Main/Quoting"]

The <blockquote> markup, in particular, would probably enhance
"content discoverability" if the search engines treat content from
other sites the way I think they do.

I like semantically meaningful pages, so I'd install and use such a recipe.

Hagan

Mozilla.org resources:
https://developer.mozilla.org/en-US/docs/Web/HTML/Element/cite
https://developer.mozilla.org/en-US/docs/Web/HTML/Element/q