[pmwiki-users] PmWiki is dead !

Petko Yotov 5ko at 5ko.fr
Fri Dec 9 00:11:41 PST 2022

Pierre-Marie Carette is a philosopher-epistemologist (philosophy of
science, theory of knowledge). He is probably less comfortable than most
of us with technical basics like servers, PHP, PmWiki.

His wiki has a lot of content, built and maintained with a huge amount
of effort over several years. I empathize with his distress. We should
try our best to help him restore it -- and we can.

That wiki had some obsolete custom markup rules, which were disabled
with a recent PHP upgrade, and it wasn't immediately clear how/why, and
how to fix these. We can help with this.

He also says ReleaseNotes is difficult to follow and understand. I do
use the names of the new core features like "PmSyntax" and "PmTOC", and
the industry terms like "Content-Security-Policy" that may not mean a
lot to many users. I can try to improve this, with fewer technical
terms, and maybe fewer/shorter notes overall.

In fact everything is in ChangeLog already, and the most important,
potentially breaking changes are in the page Upgrades.

This is an opportunity to improve ourselves, and improve the user
experience with PmWiki.

Petko