[pmwiki-users] SMTPMail

Petko Yotov 5ko at 5ko.fr
Sun Aug 27 06:35:22 PDT 2023

On 27/08/2023 10:14, Martin Cuno wrote:
> a question about the SMTPMail recipe
> (https://www.pmwiki.org/wiki/Cookbook/SMTPMail):
>
> Would it also be possible to send a newsletter WITH AN ATTACHMENT
> using this recipe?

Yes it would, and also rich text converted from PmWiki markup.

I have now documented on the recipe page how I use this function.

It takes some effort to configure it, but this is nothing compared to
composing the multipart message yourself.

> Next question: cURL can also access pop3. Would it be conceivable to
> set up an email inbox in PmWiki? - I guess the answer: that would be
> too big and dangerous thing? (But I love PmWiki and use it for more
> and more stuff.)

Zawinski's Law? https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Zawinski's_Law

You would probably use IMAP not POP, and PHP already has IMAP functions,
so you don't need cURL.

I have a "webmail"-like recipe that allows me to monitor several IMAP
mailboxes and IMAP folders on one wiki page, and open, delete, label,
hide, move the messages (but not reply to them). Unfortunately it is
very raw, only adapted for my needs, and really not ready for
publication.

See also Cookbook:WikiMail for another approach. (I haven't reviewed or
tested that one.)

Petko