[Pmwiki-users] A (perhaps) small desire for track authorship:

Patrick R. Michaud pmichaud
Thu Aug 14 12:23:47 CDT 2003

On Thu, Aug 14, 2003 at 09:33:08AM -0500, Jonathan Scott Duff wrote:

> It's too bad you can't apply the "all is fair if you predeclare"
> principle from perl to pmwiki markup because writers can't necessarily
> see the predeclarations of their administrators.

I believe this is something that Bernhard has been lobbying in favor
of for some time--a generalized standard way for custom markup declarations
to be made automatically available to WikiAuthors.  But I haven't liked
many of the proposed mechanisms for doing this.  We can definitely continue
to explore it, but my desire is to keep anything we do syntactically and
conceptually simple (simple solutions seem to be more powerful).

> Random idea for the group: Wouldn't it be interesting if WikiAuthors
> could decide which customizations pertain to a particular
> WikiPage/WikiGroup by simply including some markup in the document?

I'd be in favor of this as long as the meta-markup doesn't become too
complex.  :-)

> > The diff routines would then make use of this hook instead of being
> > hardcorded, and could eventually be replaced by a PHP-based diff if/when
> > one is ever created.
>
> Yeah, and you can handle the RecentChanges updates that way too.

Aye, and this is one way to allow for specialized RecentChanges-like
functionality.