[pmwiki] [Pmwiki-users] Webmenu, FlexLayout, and CSS.

Patrick R. Michaud pmichaud
Fri Aug 15 12:21:07 CDT 2003

On Fri, Aug 15, 2003 at 07:53:58PM +0200, Bernhard.Weichel at t-online.de wrote:

> Please take into account, that there are basically four fountains of
> files in a PmWiki environment which must not be messed up:

Umm, I think I already have taken all of these things into account...
is there something I've missed?  I really don't think I understand what
you're getting at...

> We could treat Cookbook contributions the same as local customization
> since they are installed manually by the local wiki administrator.

In fact, this has always been my official position regarding Cookbook
and other contributed modules--they're local customizations until they
are integrated into the PmWiki official distribution, at which point they
are moved someplace else (usually "scripts/").

> 1. "official distributions" from Patrick Michaud
> 2. Cookbook contributions
> 3. Local customizations
> 4. User files
> 5. Runtime files generated by PmWiki for internal purposes  (e.g. mailposts)

1. Official distributions will never place files in local/ beyond the
   .htaccess and README files that come with the distribution.
2. By convention Cookbook modules probably belong in local/, but there's
   nothing to prevent a Cookbook author from creating new subdirectories
   for holding items, either in local/ or in other directories.
3. By convention local customizations go in local/, which the official
   distribution will never touch beyond the .htaccess and README files.
   However, a site administrator can certainly create his/her own specialized
   directories to hold things--PmWiki doesn't care about that.
4. I'm not sure what you mean here by "user files".  These can go just
   about anywhere the site administrator wishes to put them, although
   some caution may be warranted about placing things in scripts/ (if done,
   be sure the filename is likely to remain unique).
5. Runtime files generated by PmWiki for internal purposes always go in
   wiki.d/.

> But please keep official directories , local customizations and User Files
> (to be backed up) and runtime files (probably not requiring backup)
> strictly separate. I'd rather have more than one pub directory.

If you want to create a separate local/pub/ directory, there's nothing to
prevent you from doing so.  As I've repeatedly stated, the official
PmWiki distribution will not muck with any files in local/, nor will it
rely on user files/runtime files/other items being stored there.

If instead you want to create a pub/local/, that's okay also.  PmWiki will
never create that directory or place any files there, either.

And if you want to create a separate localpub/ directory, that works too.
The PmWiki distribution isn't going to force site administrators into
a particular directory structure beyond the items already known:
   scripts/ contains official distribution scripts,
   wikilib.d/ contains official distribution pages, and
   local.php or local/local.php is the starting point for local customizations.
Beyond that, a site administrator can organize things however is best
for their needs--the distribution only suggests certain structures but
does not require them.