[pmwiki] [Pmwiki-users] Webmenu, FlexLayout, and CSS.

Bernhard.Weichel@t-online.de Bernhard.Weichel
Fri Aug 15 15:09:39 CDT 2003

Patrick R. Michaud wrote:
> On Fri, Aug 15, 2003 at 07:53:58PM +0200,
> Bernhard.Weichel at t-online.de wrote:
>>
>> Please take into account, that there are basically four fountains of
>> files in a PmWiki environment which must not be messed up:
>
> Umm, I think I already have taken all of these things into account...
> is there something I've missed?  I really don't think I understand
> what
> you're getting at...

I was triggered by your statment:

>However, site administrators (and cookbook module authors) can organize
>local/ and pub/ however they wish.  The only files that will go in local/
>as part of the standard distribution are the .htaccess and README files--
>PmWiki will never store anything else there.  I'm still working on the
>layout for the pub/ directory--for example, uploads/ may move into pub/
>for new installations.

this made me think that uploads to to /pub which also may have customization
CSS files. An this would be a messing up installation from user triggered
files.

> 4. I'm not sure what you mean here by "user files".  These can go just
>    about anywhere the site administrator wishes to put them, although
>    some caution may be warranted about placing things in scripts/ (if
>    done, be sure the filename is likely to remain unique).

"user files" are files which are created by user actions, in particular
wiki pages and uploads.

> 5. Runtime files generated by PmWiki for internal purposes always go
>    in wiki.d/.
>
>> But please keep official directories , local customizations and User
>> Files (to be backed up) and runtime files (probably not requiring
>> backup)
>> strictly separate. I'd rather have more than one pub directory.
>
> If you want to create a separate local/pub/ directory, there's
> nothing to prevent you from doing so.  As I've repeatedly stated, the
> official
> PmWiki distribution will not muck with any files in local/, nor will
> it
> rely on user files/runtime files/other items being stored there.

Doesn't PmWiki bring its Logo, some css files etc. which also need
access from the webserver? I wanted to point out tat these files
should be separated from local customizations.

> If instead you want to create a pub/local/, that's okay also.  PmWiki
> will never create that directory or place any files there, either.
> And if you want to create a separate localpub/ directory, that works
> too.

I am not familiar enough with apache and web security to be able to
design the optimum directory layout. And I am lazy enough to adopt the
one proposed by PmWiki if there is such a proposal.

My comments are driven from the fact that I want to keep the local
development in CVS. And this is a problem if there are directories
in which some files come from different fountains.

> The PmWiki distribution isn't going to force site administrators into
> a particular directory structure beyond the items already known:
>    scripts/ contains official distribution scripts,
>    wikilib.d/ contains official distribution pages, and
>    local.php or local/local.php is the starting point for local
> customizations. Beyond that, a site administrator can organize things
> however is best
> for their needs--the distribution only suggests certain structures but
> does not require them.

I wanted to help make the suggestion such that most of the applications
can live with it.

--bernhard