[Pmwiki-users] Documentation changes and include and anchor problems

Patrick R. Michaud pmichaud at sci.tamucc.edu
Sun May 4 21:00:32 CDT 2003

On Sun, May 04, 2003 at 07:43:55PM -0400, Crisses wrote:
> I did a bit of reorganizing of the
> http://www.pmichaud.com/wiki/PmWiki/CustomHeadersAndFooters page.  Hopefully
> it is a little more readable.  Unfortunately, I haven't used the feature and
> I don't have any coding examples that have worked, and I personally could
> use some examples of how people are using this feature to flesh out the
> documentation.  It also needs to mention where the local.php can assign a
> customized php function to the variable -- an example of this would be great
> as well.

The two things that are next on my plate for development are:
1.  Redesigning the variable scheme for custom headers and footers to be
    more flexible and understandable
2.  Providing a number of skins examples that demonstrate many of the
    configuration options

So, hopefully I'll have something there by middle of the week.  The header/
footer variable scheme redesign will need a fair amount of non-interrupt
think time for me to get it right.

> I changed http://www.pmichaud.com/wiki/PmWiki/TextFormattingRules so that
> the order of the rules makes more sense with some of the more frequently
> used (I would think) rules closer to the top.  I also put an include for the
> free links documentation (which was relatively short) directly into the
> TextFormattingRules document.

Thanks.  I think it looks better.  The changes I would suggest at this
point (8:51pm CDT) would be to excerpt the FreeLinks documentation rather
than include it directly.  Either that, or add a short description
in the References section above it that is appropriate for
FreeLinks, with a link to the full description.

I'd also separate the bullet list description from the numbered list
and move it a bit higher on the page--probably just before headers.
Bullet lists are fairly common in wiki pages, and for naive authors
the bullet list really draws them in because they tend to think
"I can do that--how obvious and easy!"

Also, maybe we should have links from TextFormattingRules to the relevant
full-description pages in the DocumentationIndex?  For example,
a link from the tables description to SimpleTables and AdvancedTables,
etc.

I'll look at things in more detail a bit later...and thanks!