documentation (was: Re: [Pmwiki-users] Re: Re: More on (:include:) syntax)

Patrick R. Michaud pmichaud
Wed Dec 8 12:50:00 CST 2004

On Wed, Dec 08, 2004 at 12:12:01PM -0500, Neil Herber wrote:
> <mild rant>
> I actually find it quite frustrating trying to locate a directive or
> special markup or variable. In a large part that is because I don't know
> enough about how PmWiki works, but I can't be the only person who is
> thrilled to have such a tool available yet confused as to how to use it.

You're not the only person to have this rant.  One of the downsides of
having a package that is as flexible and powerful as PmWiki is that
there are a *lot* of features and ways to do things.

> What I need is a page called something like PmWikiInternals that has a
> zillion links to the pages that describe these things that I don't know
> exist.

Traditionally this has been what the Cookbook is intended to resolve --
i.e., to provide a list of the zillions of ways in which PmWiki can be
used, configured, and customized.  In the past several people have
commented to the effect that  "yeah, but the cookbook really doesn't
organize the information in the way I'm looking for", but thus far
nobody's been able to describe what that "better way" should be.

> I would be glad to create such a page - except that I don't know
> what the contents would be! Having that page listed in the sidebar would be
> a great boon.

By all means, feel free to create a page/pages on pmwiki.org that
give some examples of how you'd like to see it work!  There are plenty
of others around who can fill in the details and content once we have
an idea of what the structure should look like.