[Pmwiki-users] signature (--username) markup

Patrick R. Michaud pmichaud
Tue Feb 3 10:42:31 CST 2004

Another terrific thread... I'll summarize my thoughts about the
"--username" proposals here.

Steven's comment that we already have a syntax for signatures,
namely WikiWords and FreeLinks, is essentially correct for many
wikis.  What makes PmWiki a little different is the availability of
a common WikiGroup to hold user descriptions.  While signing with
markup like "PatrickMichaud" isn't too unreasonable, it would be
looking for a page in the same group as the current one.  I'd be
discouraged if I had to always type "Contributors/{{Patrick Michaud}}"
for my signature, and I like it when people sign their contributions.

Plus, I believe that if a feature is used frequently, there should be
a relatively simple markup for it.

I think that the pattern "(^|\s)--\s?[[:alpha:]][\w- ]+\W*$"
(i.e., "--username") is unworkable if it displays '?'-links.  I think
there will be too many "surprises" from unintended matches to the pattern.
Of course, a WikiAdministrator will be able to add this pattern as
a local customization if desired--I'm just concerned about the default
PmWiki behavior.

Other markup suggestions that I think have promise:

[[--username]]
    A very reasonable alternative to --username, plus it has
    the advantage that it can be inline.

[[~username]]
    Good analogue to usernames in unix and uris.

~username~
~~username
    Two more excellent choices, not likely to otherwise occur in text.
    Perhaps the tildes would be difficult on some keyboards?  The
    markup could still render as "--username" if desired.

--/Username
--/{{username}}
    These are also okay but they start to look like too much markup.

Since usernames are essentially things that match the free link
pattern, we could also consider {{--username}} as an alternative
to [[--username]].

Finally, no matter what markup we choose, I'll probably come up with
shortcuts for inserting an author's signature into the text.  For example,
the edit form can provide a JavaScript keyboard shortcut and/or button
that automatically inserts the author's signature at the current
cursor position.  (It should also be relatively easy for others to
do similar things in the pmwe and EmacsModes editors.)