[Pmwiki-users] Re: more --signature markup thoughts

Christian Ridderström chr
Mon Feb 9 07:00:22 CST 2004

On Mon, 9 Feb 2004, Patrick R. Michaud wrote:

> The problem is that the pattern is a little too permissive if it allows
> arbitrary names (words) with spaces follow.  Thus, we'll likely have to be
> a bit more restrictive somehow.  Ideas:
>   1. require "--" to be followed by a single capitalized word at the
>      end of a line; allows "--Pm" and "--JohnDoe" but not
>      "--Patrick Michaud" or --johnny

Could you try this on the site to see how many false positives you get?

Instead of '--Patrick Michaud', we could use '--Patrick_Michaud' and the
'_' would be rendered as a space of course. People with "'" in their names
(like O'Ryan) will have a problem though.

As a side note, the Emacs wiki has a 'CategoryHomepage'
        http://www.emacswiki.org/cgi-bin/wiki/CategoryHomepage
where you can see that they've settled for using full names such as
        PatrickMichaud
for their signatures. For a big site with many users, that makes sense...
imagine how many 'johnny' you'd get otherwise :-)   OTOH, not every wiki
is big, which is a reason why I'd like '--chr' as a signature.

>   2. Don't create ?-links on signatures that don't exist (thus losing
>      the invitation and easy link to create the profile)

It would be nice to have this.

>   3. Adopt some other markup for signatures, such as
>    a.    ~~username
>    b.    --/username
>    c.    [[~username]]
>    d.    {{--username}}
>    e.    --username--

I like quite a few of these alternatives, specially (b) and (c).

>   6. Just stick with the normal markup rules as in "--Profiles/UserName"

We could do this for now, and simply wait with the rest. (It feels a bit
like defeat though :-(

/Christian