Reg-exp tips (was Re: [Pmwiki-users] Information gems...)

Christian Ridderström chr
Thu Jan 8 02:55:17 CST 2004

On Wed, 7 Jan 2004, Jean-Claude wrote:

> Hi All,
>
> The following in-depth visit of a part of the wiki engine clearly explained by Patrick himself is an example of invaluable information. But within a few weeks or months it will get lost within the archives of the difficult-to-browse stream of mails. It is a pity.
>
> For almost a year now, I have tried to peruse rapidly incoming mails on the current list almost every day. But, of course, I seldom have an immediate use (or time!) to apply what I learn. And many times, when finally I am in need of "something I know is there somewhere" I have to launch laborious (and alas too often unsuccessful ) search procedure within the archives...
>
> Since we have a wonderful tool (PmWiki!) which is just perfect to put things in files and themes where they belong and therefore become very easy to retrieve, may I suggest that we use the mailing list to announce subjects, and to provide an appropriate link to the PmWiki site where the explanation should be developped, kept and organized ?

Hi Jean-Claude,
I't be nice if you could get your MUA (probably Outlook Express) to break
long lines ;-)   See here: http://www.md.kth.se/~chr/etc/outlook/

> On Mon, Jan 05, 2004 at 11:39:01AM -0600, John Feezell wrote:
> > I recently began studying PHP regular expressions so that I could use them
> > with PmWiki and FTS.  I have material from the PHP manual but would like to
> > know how others on the list have gained knowledge of these - websites,
> > books, etc..

This page is a good stop:
	http://www.php.net/manual/en/ref.pcre.php

and just like there is a special "mode" in emacs for interactively working
with regexp:s, the page above gives a link to something similar for
Perl-compatible regexps:
	http://www.weitz.de/regex-coach/
(Note: the regexp you enter here is not 'quoted', so before using it in
your php-code, you'll have to quote '\' as '\\')

IIRC, the above page also has links to other tools/tips for working with
regexps.

/Christian

--
Dr. Christian Ridderstr?m, +46-8-768 39 44       http://www.md.kth.se/~chr