Something for the pile of ideas (was Re: [Pmwiki-users] CSS ...)

Christian Ridderström chr
Sat Jan 17 05:53:15 CST 2004

On Fri, 16 Jan 2004, Patrick R. Michaud wrote:

> On Sat, Jan 17, 2004 at 12:23:08AM +0100, Christian Ridderstr?m wrote:
> > On Fri, 16 Jan 2004, Patrick R. Michaud wrote:
> >
> > > Sure, easy to do...done.  (Added two statements to Kallisti.php,
> > > see http://www.pmichaud.com/work/beta/pmwiki.php/Kallisti/HomePage.)
> >
> > For people who are just starting a new wiki site, it might be a nice if
> > you kept some of these "demo" pages around. They nicely illustrate
> > different appearances/effects you can achieve using pmwiki. Icing on the
> > cake would of course be to be able to download the corresponding
> > local.php.
>
> Indeed, this has been on my "to-do" list for some time...to create
> some example "demo" configurations that people can download,
> install, and modify to see how they're done.  I hadn't done it prior
> to now because I knew I would probably be changing the core layout
> strategy and the directory structure in a way that would make it easier
> to provide skins.

The workload for implementing this could be distributed by creating a
page where people add link to pages on their own sites that illustrate
different appearances and ways to structure a site.

The difference to PmWikiUsers would be that here there should in addition
to the link also be a description of how it's done (or a link to a page
that describes that).

> In fact, at http://www.pmichaud.com/work/beta you'll note that PmWiki 0.6
> now has "pub" and "pub/css" directories where administrators (and
> cookbook recipe authors) can place files such as graphics and/or
> stylesheets that must be accessible by web browsers.

Um.. do you mean we'll be able to upload files there, and that they'll
come with the pmwiki distribution, or what?

> I opened up
> local/ on the beta site so that people can see the .php config files,
> but this shouldn't be done in a normal installation unless you're
> really certain someone can't accidentally execute the .php files
> instead of just viewing them.

FYI: What I did to make my configuration files publically available was to
copy them to a directory

	local/public,

where '.txt' has been added to the filename. If I didn't add '.txt', my
webserver insisted on trying to execute the files that had '.php' as
extension. E.g. local.php is copied to local/public/local.php.txt and then
there is a link to it from this page:

	http://wiki.lyx.org/pmwiki.php/Site/LocalConfiguration

where I document the site configuration.

Instead of copying the files manually, I've written a BASH script
called 'update-public.sh' that does this for me. There's a link to it from
the configuration page as well.

/Christian

--
Dr. Christian Ridderstr?m, +46-8-768 39 44       http://www.md.kth.se/~chr