[Pmwiki-users] RE: Pmwiki-users Digest, Vol 7, Issue 50

John Rankin john.rankin
Sun Jan 25 14:23:01 CST 2004

>So honestly, I'd say that the hurdles are very few with our users.  The onus
>is on us as developers to create code that makes our users' jobs as easy as
>possible.
>
>Dawn

Spot on! I would add that end users often have less of an issue than
some IT departments. Objection 4:

(4) We only support enterprise-wide solutions, not point solutions,
so we have decided to use Microsoft Windows SharePoint Services or
Microsoft Content Manangement Server or ...

There appears to be a preference for supporting a small number of large
systems, preferably from a single vendor, rather than a large number of
small systems. So there is a preference to use one piece of software to
drive as much business functionality as possible.

The objection is almost:

(4) wikis are too small and too simple to be worth considering, they
are just a distraction from the real software we use

(I'm having a jaded Monday morning)
JR

>--------------------------
>>
>> Message: 5
>> Date: Thu, 22 Jan 2004 13:18:47 -0700
>> From: "Patrick R. Michaud" <pmichaud at pobox.com>
>> Subject: Re: [Pmwiki-users] RE: pmwiki-0.6.beta1 released
>> To: PmWiki Users <pmwiki-users at pmichaud.com>
>>
>> On Thu, Jan 22, 2004 at 04:36:03PM -0000, dave.jackson wrote:
>> >
>> > It is just that I am trying to 'sell' Wiki to my boss (for elimination
>> > of doubt, not for money), and the ease at which I can create a link with
>> > {{xxx}} syntax is so appealing.
>>
>> On this topic, I'm working on a paper (or series of papers) that
>> articulates
>> some of the problems in "selling a wiki concept" to others. I would
>> love to hear comments, stories (both successes and failures), or
>> suggestions from others about this.
>>
>> I already know of several of the largest barriers:
>>    (1) perceived lack of security and/or control of the wiki,
>>    (2) the markup is seen as being too complex, or wiki lacks a WYSIWYG
>>        editor, and
>>    (3) the markup is seen as being too limiting, and cannot achieve
>>        all of the functionality of a pure HTML/XHTML/XML environment.
>>
>> Anyone have any other barriers, comments, or ideas on this they'd like
>> to share?
>>
>> Pm
>>

>--

JR