[Pmwiki-users] Q: separate cgi-bin and html forlders

Alexander Babanov babanov
Sun Jan 25 16:31:44 CST 2004

Good day, All,

After a fair bit of research (and a year+ of struggle with PhpWiki/MySQL
maintenance for my team's research project page) I decided to settle for
PmWiki as a front-end for my wife's new homepage ;-) It sure looks like
a nice and clean project, and the ability to specify different
permissions for different groups and pages is a killer feature.

Here, however, is where I ran into problems. My hosting provider has
different folders for CGI scripts and web pages, say, /localdir/cgi and
/localdir/WWW. They are visible to the world as http://thepage/cgi-bin/
and http://thepage/ respectively. So, I successfully installed PmWiki
with the following small adjustments:

$WikiDir = "/localdir/WWW/wiki.d";
$WikiLibDirs = array(&$WikiDir,"/localdir/WWW/wikilib.d");
$WikiImgUrl = "http://thepage/pmwiki-50.gif";

At that point browsing and editing worked fine. Then I added the
following lines to local.php:

$DefaultPasswords['admin']=crypt('adminpass');
$DefaultPasswords['edit']=crypt('editpass');

Now, every time I try to edit a page or change passwords, I get
authentication prompt, which does not accept any of said passwords. Is
there something I'm missing here?

Thanks in advance! / Alex