[Pmwiki-users] Demo Autosave on Preview

John Rankin john.rankin
Fri Jul 16 19:36:36 CDT 2004

On Friday, 16 July 2004 9:06 PM, chr at home.se wrote:
>On 16 Jul 2004, John Rankin wrote:
>> Test site is at:
>
>You should send a separate mail soliciting comments.. this thread has
>become rather long so I suspect people don't read it.

Coming shortly -- I think it all works now.

>> I have changed the notation:
>
>     ?        create new page
>     ¿ view draft of new page
>     !        view original page
>     ¡  view draft of existing page
>
>> So an inverted symbol always refers to a draft action.

>> [about using 'reset' as delete draft]
>
>> Easy for /you/ to say. I had been trying to keep this a non-invasive
>> plug-in. This would go to the heart of the edit form processing.
>> Before I embark on this, is it /really/ essential?
>
>No, I don't think so.

When I was listening to the drip of water into a bucket from a leak
in our almost new roof at 4 o'clock this morning, it occurred to me
that the following alternative might be better:

- forget about a delete draft button on the edit page

- when editing a draft, provide a link to 'Edit Original Page'

- if someone clicks the link to edit, the preview button reads
  Preview & Overwrite Newer Draft

- so someone will only overwrite the draft after editing the
  original, which seems to me a more logical order

OTOH the hour of the wolf is not a good time for thought.

--
JR