[Pmwiki-users] Re: More anti-spam ideas

Mattthew Shaylor pmwiki
Tue Jun 8 04:37:03 CDT 2004

Tom Cato Amundsen <tca <at> gnu.org> writes:

> On Mon, Jun 07, 2004 at 10:59:57AM +0200, Gregory Watts wrote:

> > Hello,
> >
> > An other idea: forbid external links in the sand box?
> >

> This should be on by default. But we need to be able to forbid any links
> to www.stupid-asian-site.com from any page, because at some point they
> will start spamming other pages than the sandbox.

Whist the intention here is noble, this seems to me to be a bad idea because:

1. The whole point of the sandbox is to teach users about a wiki.  How will they
be able to test external links?  Its a fairly advanced idea that links don't
work from this page because of spam!

2. It will only encourage spammers to use other pages!

Pm's idea of clearing the sandbox regularly seems better although it will still
suffer from problem 2 (and 10 minutes seems a bit harsh to me, can we have 30?).

Matthew