[Pmwiki-users] Allowing both [[...]] and ((...)) as link markup (was: New link markup...)

Christian Ridderström chr
Mon Jun 14 11:54:20 CDT 2004

On Mon, 14 Jun 2004, Patrick R. Michaud wrote:
> I think that using ((...)) instead of [[...]] is pretty much a non-starter
> for me--too many other wikis and systems use the brackets to indicate links.

Ok, so you think the "non-standardness" is too important. What's your take
on the idea of allowing both? Personally I'm ambivalent... e.g.

+ Gives people a choice
- Means we can't use ((..)) for some other kind of markup

It'd be an interesting experiment to enable both so that a bunch of new
users have a choice, and then see which markup is more common.

> Plus, I think that brackets more correctly indicate links in the sense of
> "reference to another source".

I don't know about that argument... I'd buy it completely if there
were square brackets around the resulting link, but here it's only
there in the source. Still, maybe that's where you need the indication
though.

> So, unlike the directive markup, I'm pretty firmly committed to using
> double-brackets for the primary link syntax.

Ok.

/Christian

PS. Do you know any statistics on the use of ((...)) v.s. [[..]]? For that
matter, do you know any web pages that have compared the markup of
different wiki engines?