[Pmwiki-users] Allowing both [[...]] and ((...)) as link markup (was: New link markup...)

Thomas -Balu- Walter list+pmwiki-users
Mon Jun 14 15:25:52 CDT 2004

On Mon, Jun 14, 2004 at 07:54:01PM +0200, Christian Ridderstr?m wrote:
> Ok, so you think the "non-standardness" is too important. What's your take
> on the idea of allowing both? Personally I'm ambivalent... e.g.
>
> + Gives people a choice
> - Means we can't use ((..)) for some other kind of markup
>
> It'd be an interesting experiment to enable both so that a bunch of new
> users have a choice, and then see which markup is more common.

No. Disabling a feature is very user unfriendly. Perhaps we Germans will
start using ((...)) because it's easier to type, but all Americans will
use [[...]]. If people get used to something, don't take it away later.

Allowing both will make people use different style all over your Wiki
and confusing others.

It'll also take away the chance of using one of them later for different
markup.

> PS. Do you know any statistics on the use of ((...)) v.s. [[..]]? For that
> matter, do you know any web pages that have compared the markup of
> different wiki engines?

http://wikifeatures.wiki.taoriver.net/moin.cgi/WikiEngine

Not really markup, but features... It lists several major markup styles
which should be evaluated... C2, TWIKI, USEMOD, MOIN, PHPWIKI, ...

-- Balu