[Pmwiki-users] inching slowly towards user-based authorization

Jonathan Scott Duff duff
Wed Jun 16 11:35:21 CDT 2004

On Wed, Jun 16, 2004 at 11:03:57AM -0600, Patrick R. Michaud wrote:
>     author:alice                    only alice
>     author:alice,bob                only alice and bob
>     author:everyone                 everyone that has been authenticated
>     <blank>                         everyone, authenticated or not
>     kiwi grape                      passwords "kiwi" and "grape"
>     author:alice kiwi               alice and everyone with "kiwi" password
>     author:everyone kiwi
>     author:everyone,-bob            everyone authenticated except bob

Sure but please don't keyword "everyone".  Perhaps use * instead:

	author:alice                    only alice
	author:alice,bob                only alice and bob
	author:*			everyone that has been authenticated
	<blank>                         everyone, authenticated or not
	kiwi grape                      passwords "kiwi" and "grape"
	author:alice kiwi               alice and everyone with "kiwi" password
	author:* kiwi
	author:*,-bob			everyone authenticated except bob

Or maybe even the emptry string, but that makes everything look odd to
me. Or if you think "*" too unfriendly, perhaps "ALL" instead.

> As a follow-up step we could see about adding groups of users; e.g.,
> "author:@editors" (or perhaps just "author:editors") would allow
> access to anyone in the "editors" group, where this group is defined
> somewhere else--probably in Profiles/Editors.

This sounds interesting but vague. How does Profiles/Editors provide the
grouping mechanism? Are the users listed on the page somewhere? Are they
provided as a list in the password field? And if the latter, does that
mean that "authors:@editors" is another way to say anyone who can edit
(for instance) Profiles/Editors, can also edit the page in question? And
why is it editors instead of Editors?

-Scott
--
Jonathan Scott Duff