[Pmwiki-users] Re: Re: Re: Re: Image sizes, alt tags, and more (was: Image display resizing problem)

Patrick R. Michaud pmichaud
Wed Mar 3 17:31:24 CST 2004

On Thu, Mar 04, 2004 at 01:00:07AM +0100, Thomas -Balu- Walter wrote:
> I'm sorry, I missed the discussion and don't know if and what is the
> result by now, but was
>
> [[http://foo.bar/image.gif alt text]]
>
> already suggested? This might give problems though with...

This syntax already means something else--specifically, it's a
link to http://foo.bar/image.gif with "alt text" as the link text.
It renders as <a href='http://foo.bar/image.gif'>alt text</a>.

> What about leaving it as it is and putting the image name into the alt
> tag?

One could do that, but the point of the alt= attribute is to have
something meaningful, for non-graphical rendering agents.  The
(file)name of the image is often not meaningful.

Or, stated another way, my purpose in bringing this up is not to
satisfy the requirement for an alt= attribute, but rather to provide
a mechanism whereby wiki authors can specify what the alt= text
should be.