[Pmwiki-users] Suggestion for the sample-config.php

Reimer Behrends behrends
Thu Mar 18 18:40:25 CST 2004

On Thu, Mar 18, 2004 at 05:47:02PM -0700, Patrick R. Michaud wrote:
[...]
> If the browser has a copy of a page in its cache, it's allowed to send
> an "If-Modified-Since" header in its request.  The server can then either
> return a copy of the page (as normal), or if it knows that the page hasn't
> changed it can send back "304 Not Modified" to tell the browser to use
> its cached version.  In this case the size of the transferred page
> content is zero--a huge win for bandwidth and speed.  :-)

I'd been looking into adding such functionality to my caching script,
but was planning on using ETag headers rather than Last-Modified (time
stamps can have ugly problems, some of which also affect caching).

I also think it might be necessary to remove the no-store directive from
the Cache-Control header, because the directive requires the browser
cache to not store either the served page or the request that was used
to retrieve it. For what it's worth, I'm not sure if no-store serves any
purpose in the context of PmWiki that is not already covered by no-cache
(unless you use PmWiki to run a secure site).

			Reimer Behrends