[Pmwiki-users] Suggestion for the sample-config.php

Patrick R. Michaud pmichaud
Thu Mar 18 19:10:31 CST 2004

On Thu, Mar 18, 2004 at 08:40:15PM -0500, Reimer Behrends wrote:
> On Thu, Mar 18, 2004 at 05:47:02PM -0700, Patrick R. Michaud wrote:
> [...]
> > If the browser has a copy of a page in its cache, it's allowed to send
> > an "If-Modified-Since" header in its request.  The server can then either
> > return a copy of the page (as normal), or if it knows that the page hasn't
> > changed it can send back "304 Not Modified" to tell the browser to use
> > its cached version.  In this case the size of the transferred page
> > content is zero--a huge win for bandwidth and speed.  :-)
>
> I'd been looking into adding such functionality to my caching script,
> but was planning on using ETag headers rather than Last-Modified (time
>
> I also think it might be necessary to remove the no-store directive from
> the Cache-Control header, [...]

Yes, the script that I'm using for if-modified-since eliminates the
Cache-Control header for the results of browse actions.  I also don't
know if no-store serves any purpose in the context of PmWiki--I just
took it from the comments in the header() page on the php.net site
because I wanted to get caching issues out of the picture as much as I
could in the earlier stages of PmWiki development and distribution.