[Pmwiki-users] Re: Single-Word WikiWords

Steven Leite steven_leite
Sat May 8 11:56:45 CDT 2004

> Here's another approach that might work:  Instead of maintaining
> a single page containing the list of disabled WikiWords, how about
> indicating the disabling via the page itself.  This is a bit complex
> to explain, but suppose someone frequently uses the term "CamelCase"
> in a page but doesn't want it to be a WikiWord link.  Instead of
> escaping [=CamelCase=] throughout the document or getting the admin
> to set $WikiWordCount['CamelCase'], they instead go ahead and create
> a page called "CamelCase" and put [[wikiwordcount=0]] in the page
> contents.  Later, when PmWiki is rendering a page that contains
> "CamelCase" in it, it first looks at the CamelCase page to see if it
> should be linked or not or how many times it should be linked.
>
> Comments?
>
> Pm

Nice idea.  I see one potential problem, which is that one page (called
CamelCase) will determine the behaviour for the WikiWord "CamelCase"
site-wide.  This is a bit too harsh.  Also, it might create confusion
for somebody who's editing a different page elsewhere, and talking about
CamelCase and wondering why it's not automatically getting linked.

What i would suggest instead, is something along the idea of defining
styles with %define% .. something like [[wikiwordcount=0 CamelCase]]
would tell PmWiki that the WikiWord CamelCase should not be linked on
the current page.  But on other pages, users may feel free to use it
without problems.

For sitewide or group-wide, perhaps putting that same directive in the
GroupHeader would do the trick?

-S