[Pmwiki-users] Re: Image alt text

Christian Ridderström chr
Wed May 19 03:35:35 CDT 2004

On Wed, 19 May 2004, Mattthew Shaylor wrote:

> Nils Knappmeier <nk <at> knappi.org> writes:
>
> > I just had the following idea: Usually, what you see on an image does
> > not depend on where you put the image. Maybe, one should be able to
> > specify the alt-text when uploading the picture. You don't have any
> > additional markup then
> >
> > Nils
> >

> That sounds like an inspired idea.  How about using the information in
> the EXIF header for jpeg files?  I'm sure there must be an equivalent
> for png.  The main problem for the user is that most people won't know
> how to change this (or even what it is) so maybe an option on the attach
> page could be added to update the EXIF header of the uploaded picture?

How about we use a separate wiki page to enter alt-texts for uploaded
files? E.g. you edit the page

	Main.UploadedFilesInfo

and that page contains information such as

	Attach:someFile.jpg  An image of the illusory 'someFile'

alternatively we could use special markup for adding meta-information to a
file:

	[[attach-info:someFile.jpg An image of the illusory 'someFile']]

which could be rendered nicely.

The syntax etc can be improved of course, but I hope you get the idea.

Being able to add a general comment, or arbitrary meta-data to an uploaded
file seems very useful to me (think checksum for instance).

/Christian