[Pmwiki-users] installation / upgrades

Knut Alboldt pmwiki
Mon Nov 8 11:51:40 CST 2004

At 17:35 08.11.2004, you wrote:
>On Sat, Nov 06, 2004 at 10:51:29PM +0100, Knut Alboldt wrote:
> >
> > On the win-site I've to customize
> >   $ScriptUrl  = $_SERVER['PATH_INFO'];
> >   $PubDirUrl  = "$wikibaseurl/$pmwikipgmdir/pub";  # has to be set,
> > otherwise = php.exe path
> >   $EnableLocalConfig = 0;
>
>Why do you have to set $EnableLocalConfig = 0?  And, of course,
>you are doing the customization in the local/config.php file?

ooops, sorry. you're right. The last statement has of course _not_ to be
done. I only do this, because I'm not using *.php-scripts but *.incphp when
setting up own scripts and customization-scripts so I suppressed calling
any config.php by that, it's better for my  testing, but only applies for
my test-site.

> > If I only unpack the new archive into the old pmwiki-pgm-dir, then old
> > files will never be deleted
>
>In general this isn't an issue.

well, then I simply should change the way to update to another wiki-version
by copying the contents of the new installation archive into the existing
pmwiki-pgm-dir (?).  If this is the way to do it (please tell me), I'll
just drop a note in the docs.

> > so I thought what's about separating the own customized stuff completely
> > from the basic pmwiki-pgm-dir ?
> > something like:
> > ...any-prefix-if-wanted/pmwiki/  = basic pmwiki dir
> > ...any-prefix-if-wanted/pmwiki/pmwiki.php = call of
> > ...any-prefix/pmwiki/pmwikiv2/pmwiki.php (if needed)
> > ...any-prefix-if-wanted/pmwiki/pmwiki2/ = basic pmwiki-installation with
> > the current dir-structure
> > ...any-prefix-if-wanted/pmwiki/user/ = user's local, pub and possible
> other
> > dirs (mayby wiki.d-dirs too)
> > [...]
>
>I couldn't follow this upon first reading (maybe I'm just too tired this
>morning), but if I can't follow it easily I think it's likely too complex
>for others.  Maybe if it were worded more simply or directly, but
>having all of the pmwiki's & pmwiki2's just caused me to be totally lost.

oh, sorry, yes if I read it for myself - it's not very clear. I just
thought having a basic dir for pmwiki including a pmwiki-pgm-dir (the
contents of the installation-archive) and a user-stuff-dir and a basic
startup-file (like index.php) to call the pmwiki.php in the pmwiki-pgm-dir.
But I think it's quit obsolete, when I simply change the update policy as
described above.

Thanks.

Knut