[Pmwiki-users] Working with files -- Experience using PmWiki

Patrick R. Michaud pmichaud
Mon Sep 20 09:02:26 CDT 2004

On Mon, Sep 20, 2004 at 02:37:15AM +0200, Thomas -Balu- Walter wrote:
> On Wed, Sep 15, 2004 at 04:34:22PM +0200, Joachim Durchholz wrote:
> > chr at home.se wrote:
> > >
> > >One problem is that you can only [upload] one file at a time.
> >
> > This is a limitation of HTML.
> > I don't know of any good workaround.
>
> This is not true. I have written an upload form where you can upload 5
> or more files at a time, so technically it should be possible.

Balu is right, in that one can create a form that provides multiple
blanks for people to specify files to be uploaded.  But the current
state of browsers doesn't allow a single file upload field to handle
multiple file uploads.

One possibility would be to have an author enter multiple Attach:
lines in the text, and then ?action=upload provides a separate
file upload field for each unresolved Attach:? link.  This works somewhat,
but is probably not how most authors think (usually they want to be able
to attach the file when they come to the appropriate point in the text,
and not in a batch at the end of the page).

The best scenario I've seen described thus far is to have an "Attach File"
button in the edit form that pops up an upload form in a separate window.
>From the separate window the author then uploads the attachment, and
when the window is closed/finished the Attach: link is added directly
into the text box (via Javascript) or the author is given instructions
about what to add to the edit box.  Votes?