[Pmwiki-users] Working with files -- Experience using PmWiki

Patrick R. Michaud pmichaud
Mon Sep 20 14:01:02 CDT 2004

On Mon, Sep 20, 2004 at 09:41:38PM +0200, Knut Alboldt wrote:
> At 17:02 20.09.2004, Pm wrote:
>
> >The best scenario I've seen described thus far is to have an "Attach File"
> >button in the edit form that pops up an upload form in a separate window.
> >>From the separate window the author then uploads the attachment, and
> >when the window is closed/finished the Attach: link is added directly
> >into the text box (via Javascript) or the author is given instructions
> >about what to add to the edit box.  Votes?
>
> That doesn't sound bad, but it seems to me, that this will not solve the
> multiple file upload.
> If you're willing to use javascript, why not using an java-applet for
> multiple file upload, even with the possibility of using drag and drop (at
> least in windows-browser-environments).

Only because I don't currently have the time to really write one of
these beasts.  If someone else wants to write one, or wants to pay me
to write one, or wants to adapt an existing GPL-compatible one for
use with PmWiki, I'm all for it.  :)

> The idea of inserting the link into the text via javascript is quite ok. I
> wonder if it is possible to put text at the cursor-position in an existing
> textarea or isn't it reduced to be appended to the existing text ?

I think it may be possible to put text at the current cursor-position,
although I don't know how widely this is supported in various browsers.
If I can't do it at the current cursor position, I'd just prefer the
Attach-link to be cut-n-paste instead.

But, most of this is relatively low priority for me at the moment, the
current system seems to work "well enough" for most people.  If it needs
higher priority, it needs to be entered/discussed in PITS (and people
can vote on its priority there).