[pmwiki-users] Re: page locations WAS: Re: Re: Re: Is there a Parse() to Keep()

chr at home.se chr at home.se
Fri Apr 15 04:11:21 CDT 2005

On Thu, 14 Apr 2005, Radu wrote:

> The one point where the location of the data actually matters, is when
> Pm packages the distributions. I guess Christian wanted to say that
> instruction on internal functions might belong in the distribution
> (since the PmWiki group gets packed in wikilib.d)

Partly.

When I was looking for the documentation, I did a search first for pages
containing "MarkupToHTML("  and then for "Keep(". The first didn't give
any results, whereas the latter gave some. Of those, 'Cookbook.Functions'
never made me think it'd document internal PmWiki functions... So one
reason I suggested 'InternalFunctions' was to emphasize that aspect.
Perhaps 'PmWikiFunctions' would also be good, but see further down.

Anyway, I guess this is a situation where it would have helped if the
search function resulted in some teaser text for each page and/or the
paragraph surrounding the keyword.

> >>Perhaps a suitable name for the page is PmWiki.InternalFunctions? I think
> >>that it might good to emphasize the internal aspect...
> >
> >No. It's a list of functions intended for use by Cookbook recipe writers.
> >So actually it's fine just where it is.

Do you expect Cookbook.Functions to *only* document functions that are
part of "standard" PmWiki? If not, I think it'd make sense to make a
separate page documenting PmWiki functions and include that into
Cookbook.Functions (or Cookbook.UsefulFunctions:-) ?

A motivation for the separation is that in addition to the standard pmwiki
functions, there are probably other functions that could be very useful to
recipe writers. They could be from other recipes, or from discussions on
this list. Actually, I often see useful snippets of code on this list and
think: "gee, it'd be good to write this down somewhere...".

Btw, these functions are useful not only for cookbook authors, but also
for administrators.

/Christian