[pmwiki-users] Re: Solution converting ISO-8859-1 wikifiles to UTF-8

Joachim Durchholz jo at durchholz.org
Mon Apr 18 03:10:30 CDT 2005

Algis Kabaila wrote:

> Now for an example of such a question: I have implemented on our PCUG PmWiki
> here in down-under Canberra a "Guestbook" and a "Forum".  Forum suffers from
> one unnecessary drawback, which IMHO, could be easily rectified - the page
> names, which I think are created from the subject+dateTimeStamp, when
> displayed in large font, overflow the page limits, making the page wider than
> usual (with edit, history etc. menu disappearing out of sight).
>
> It would help to reduce the length of  the auto generated page names (Perhaps
> using the first word of a subject-dateTimeStamp and a smaller font for page
> names).  How can we do that?

Using a smaller font for the titles is easy to do using CSS. Use a skin
that has a smaller title font, or modify an existing one.

Forum could be rewritten to generate page names that simply append
something like (N), where N is the comment number. (It would take some
time to modify forum.php to do that though - a couple of days perhaps.)

> It would have been less intimidating to first introduce them to a local Forum,
> than a wiki.  What are our chances of having an enhanced PmWiki based forum,
> perhaps a special PmWiki farm?  Perhaps a group of forums, each with its
> title displayed on the side bar?

If the number of people is small, you can give each participant his own
group and restrict edit rights to that particular person by placing an
edit password on that group.

Actually I'm evangelising my relatives with the Wiki idea, by offering
it to them as an online publishing platform. At least one of them
already has started to evangelise on her own, so "the word is spreading"
right now :-))

So, yes, one could probably do it using a wiki farm as well - I don't
know enough about PmWiki farms to say anything definitive though, I
prefer to set up separate wikis for a purpose.

Regards,
Jo