[pmwiki-users] Re: yet another documentation suggestion ...

John Rankin john.rankin at affinity.co.nz
Wed Aug 3 19:06:24 CDT 2005

On Thursday, 4 August 2005 8:00 AM, V.Krishn <mistyfire at autograf.pl> wrote:
>Hello,
>
>On all pages we could start inserting:
>eg. http://www.pmwiki.org/wiki/Test/MetaKeywords
>(:title <test>:)
>(:keywords <word list>:)
>(:description <text>:)
>
>This would not only make the pages search engine friendly but very friendly to
>pmwiki's own search capability.

<standardsBigot>
I wonder if it's time to start thinking about a more general
metadata scheme.

We may wish to consider adopting the Dublin Core standard
for the metadata associated with a wiki page. In particular,
there is:
http://www.emacswiki.org/cw/DublinCoreForWiki

There was a pmwiki 1 recipe for this:
http://www.pmwiki.org/wiki/Cookbook-V1/MetaData

Whether the metadata should be embedded in the page content or
as an associated metadata record is an open question:

+ having a metadata form makes it easy for people to add metadata
+ the metadata doesn't get in the way when editing a page

- people need to understand what 'metadata' means
- updating the content of a page can make the metadata incorrect

The markup [[PageName?action=dc]] would show the metadata
associated with a particular page. This would also be built
into the HTML header, so DC harvesters can pick up the metadata.
For example, it would be fairly easy, I think, to make PmWiki
OAI-PMH compliant (open archives initiative protocol for
metadata harvesting), if desired.

This would also allow a wiki search to show a full metadata record,
or selected parts of it.

</standardsBigot>

Perhaps if there are any librarians reading the list, they
may wish to comment on this proposal.
--
JR