[pmwiki-users] Supporting different modes in default pmwiki

Bronwyn Boltwood arndis at gmail.com
Tue Aug 9 23:34:16 CDT 2005

On 8/9/05, Radu <radu at monicsoft.net> wrote:
> >However, this does highlight a big difference between Word and
> >PmWiki - Word is crammed full of tools that different people have
> >varying uses for. PmWiki has very few analogs of tools, other than
> >the edit, history, etc. buttons. The devilish complexity in PmWiki
> >is buried in the markup, and the only real "tools" that help with
> >that task are the GUI edit buttons.
>
> I beg to differ. There's a lot of potential complexity in pmwiki if
> you consider all recipes available, as well as presently unavailable,
> but potentially useful recipes. I would like to be able to have:
>
> * various add-on functions for the author view (calendar, calculator,
> schedule bar, To-Do list...)
[snip]

*boggle* You don't want just a wiki, you want a wiki/PIM/document
generation and management system, with bells on. :)

> * blog view

I'm curious.  Please explain how this would work?

> * we already have print view (it could either unclutter the action=
> processing and be switched to view=, or view= values could be added to action=)

Er, views should be independent of actions.  I'd been thinking of
making the edit page/form in standard view be different from the edit
form in author or admin view, for example.  I see your point about
print, but I don't think the rest ought to be switched.  Plus, it is
handy not to *have* to code a print version of the skin, but instead
fall back on the built-in print skin.

I see it primarily as a wonderful help to those who use one wiki for
many things, or who play many roles in particular wikis.

Bronwyn