[pmwiki-users] how to see IP addresses to enter into Blocklist

Crisses crisses at ofobscurity.com
Sun Aug 14 06:04:11 CDT 2005

On Aug 8, 2005, at 11:01 AM, Hugo Fjelsted Alrøe wrote:

> I am under spam attack and would like to know how see the IP
> addresses of the vandals to enter them into Blocklist.
>
> I found a recipe on http://www.pmwiki.org/wiki/Cookbook-V1/
> AboutVandalism  for how to make the IP address visible on
> RecentChanges (see below), but could not get it to work (I dont
> think ThisWiki: works anymmore, so I replaced it with the real url,
> but it still does not work.)

Sorry for the delay -- been rather busy trying to move.

That page was created a LONG time ago.

What I do is I have email notifications turned on for new posts --
and I have the emails include the IP.  I don't like the mouse-over IP
idea because I like my visitors able to post "anonymously" to the
public.  I don't want hackers, for example, able to find someone's IP
address.

Here's my entry in (farm)config.php

$EnableMailPosts=1;                   # to enable mailposts
$MailPostsTo="crisses@********.org";  # where to send mail
$MailPostsDelay=1800;                 # wait 30+ min after initial post
$MailPostsSquelch=7200;               # require 2+ hours between mails
$MailPostsFrom = 'Wiki server <wiki@******.***>';
$ipaddress = $_SERVER['REMOTE_ADDR'];
$MailPostsItemFmt = " * \$PageName . . . \$PostTime by \$Author
\n . . . $ipaddre
ss    \$PageUrl?action=diff";
$MailPostsSubject="New $WikiTitle posts";

So that every wiki emails me as "Wiki server" but puts the title of
the wiki in the subject line, and the emails have the IP address of
the poster in them.

I combine this with the blocklist2 mailing feature explained on the
Cookbook page, so I get IPs for both people who successfully post,
and people who get blocked.

Crisses
--
"Pure objectivity," to use Pavlov's phrase, is quite elusive if not
impossible....[T]he primary thing a novice typically reports seeing