[pmwiki-users]SEO: Avoiding Headings in the SideBar

Hans design at flutesong.fsnet.co.uk
Sun Aug 14 12:18:15 CDT 2005

Sunday, August 14, 2005, 3:31:42 PM, Patrick wrote:
> Yeah, for a variety of reasons I'm thinking unordered lists
> may be the way to go here.

I hope you don't think to replace the current sidebar header lines
with first level list items, and use second level list items instead
of current first level etc. This would be a real nightmare for skin
designers, and sidebars of existing skins will be broken on many
sites, when the skin gets updated.

What I hope is we can get a custom markup, something short and sweet,
which translates into a <p class='sbheader'> ....</p>
or a similar class name. Perhaps != as markup?

I was trying out %hdr% as custom style for sidebar headings, which
works, but not too well, since the class=hdr gets applied to a span
tag which is inside the p tag, which means styles for the p are passed
on to the %hdr% styled p, and are not easy to override.

Hagan's suggestion to use divisions will obviously work, but it is a
lot of markup to add to the sidebar.

I think it is most important that we can have a standard class name
for sidebar header (or divider) text lines, and if we can have a
markup for it it would be even better.

Best,
~Hans