[pmwiki-users]SEO: Avoiding Headings in the SideBar

Patrick R. Michaud pmichaud at pobox.com
Sun Aug 14 12:58:05 CDT 2005

On Sun, Aug 14, 2005 at 06:18:15PM +0100, Hans wrote:
> Sunday, August 14, 2005, 3:31:42 PM, Patrick wrote:
> > Yeah, for a variety of reasons I'm thinking unordered lists
> > may be the way to go here.
>
> I hope you don't think to replace the current sidebar header lines
> with first level list items, and use second level list items instead
> of current first level etc. This would be a real nightmare for skin
> designers, and sidebars of existing skins will be broken on many
> sites, when the skin gets updated.

I'm still working on it.  I don't think we can let the <h1>'s stand,
that obviously needs to change.  But skins can continue to style the
<h1>'s as before so that there won't be any breakage on those.

The problem of course is if the <h1>'s become first-level list
items, because first-level list items already mean something else
in the sidebar, so yes, there could be lots of upgrade conflicts.
I'm not quite sure what to do about that.

> What I hope is we can get a custom markup, something short and sweet,
> which translates into a <p class='sbheader'> ....</p>
> or a similar class name. Perhaps != as markup?

Not likely -- I don't think the sidebar deserves its own markup.  If
we come up with a markup that also has meaning in other pages, then
maybe.

> I was trying out %hdr% as custom style for sidebar headings, which
> works, but not too well, since the class=hdr gets applied to a span
> tag which is inside the p tag, which means styles for the p are passed
> on to the %hdr% styled p, and are not easy to override.

Use %p hdr% instead.  But even here I'm not sure this is worthy of
being enshrined as a standard.