[pmwiki-users]SEO: Avoiding Headings in the SideBar

Hans design at flutesong.fsnet.co.uk
Mon Aug 15 18:11:57 CDT 2005

Monday, August 15, 2005, 11:38:25 PM, Patrick wrote:
> What part(s) do you find difficult/challenging about styling the
> sidebar?  It seems to me that it's about the same level of difficulty
> regardless of the markup used.

Well the sidebar is not like the normal content page. It is an
extremely narrow space, so it is challanging to put anything in there.
The browser defaults don't work very well, and most html tags need
special css attributes, so they can fit well into this space.

Like lists need to be stripped of margins and paddings, of default
indents and bullets. Basically I need to style every html tag which
appears in the sidebar. So I make the assumption that only a very few
will actually be used in sidebars, and I ignore the rest, hoping that
authors and administrators will not wish to use those.

So introducing <h5> into the sidebar did throw my existing gemini
skin, as you can see, because I did not style for it, not seeing a use
for it before. And if anyone wants to use ordered lists rather than
unordered ones to create the sidebar menu, gemini will fail her...

BTW I am happy with a sidebar heading style, I just don't like too
long a name and would prefer a token like != or something. if it has
to be inside %...% the shorter the better.

Best,
~Hans