[pmwiki-users] How to store, maintain, access survey information for our network?

Andrius Kulikauskas ms at ms.lt
Sat Dec 31 08:03:40 CST 2005

Samwel Kongere in Kenya has, at our lab's request, collected public
answers from people he will represent through our Open Leader network.
The purpose of our network is to organize around those who contribute to
the Public Domain, thus facilitating social networking for the good of
us all.

I include below answers from ten people.  In the next six months, I'd
like us to collect and maintain answers from between 100 and 1,000
people.  Some of them, especially in the developing world, will be
collected by online representatives such as Samwel working on small
stipends, such as $100.  Others will be added or edited directly by
participants from the online world.

I'm wondering, what would be the best way to store this data online so
that it would be easy to upload, easy to edit, and easy to access?

We're happy with PmWiki, which we use at http://www.globalvillages.info
and http://www.openleader.com  We've upgraded to version 2 and I'm
considering advanced features that we might use, such as:
http://www.pmwiki.org/wiki/Cookbook/WikiForms
http://intranet.affinity.co.nz/pmwiki2/index.php?n=Issues.Issues
which I invite us to practice with at:
http://www.globalvillages.info/index.php/Questions/Welcome
http://www.globalvillages.info/index.php/Questions/FormTemplate

There are also new metadata features for PmWiki
http://www.pmwiki.org/wiki/Cookbook/Properties
http://www.pmwiki.org/wiki/Cookbook/PagelistExplained
for which I need to install the latest updates, but I've tried this out:
http://www.openleader.com/index.php/Profiles/GeorgeOmolloh
(see "edit pages")
http://www.openleader.com/index.php/Profiles/StandardQuestions

We have our own server and I know some PHP and MySQL, and am familiar
with transLucid which we might possibly use.  I'd prefer to avoid using
a database if it's simpler to go without.

I am imagining the following six months from now:
- posting public information about 1,000 people
- about 100 casual users participate in adding or updating their own
information or those of acquaintances, and make use of various
interfaces for accessing and querying the data
- about 10 super users are especially active as organizers of people,
and collectors of data, and we design custom interfaces to meet their
special needs

I think PmWiki is nice in that we might set up wiki pages that would act
as various simple interfaces (for example, a page for "Kenya" might
include a list of all people in Kenya).  And using a wiki would be good
for super users.  Perhaps for casual users it would be best to have a
traditional forms interface.  I'd like to avoid having a password based
registration system, however, because I think they present too much of a
barrier.  Maybe I'm wrong.  I don't know what works best.  I'm thinking
it would be best to have a way for people to post static copies of their
pages on sites they control, as confirmation pages.  That would also be
much more decentralized.

What's a smart way for me to approach this?  What would be the best way
to use PmWiki for part or all of this?  One concern with PmWiki is that
I don't know if there is a way for the data to be easily accessible by
other applications (perhaps as XML or RSS files)?

For example, we have lists of "key concepts" and "investigatory questions":
http://www.openleader.com/index.php/MinciuSodas/KeyConcept
http://www.openleader.com/index.php/MinciuSodas/InvestigatoryQuestion
and it would be great to make that accessible in various ways.

If we had a nice solution, then it would be great to make this work for
our lab's community currencies as well.  We'll also be collected
information about "patterns" in global village architecture and other
fields.  In general, we have a need for collecting, maintaining, and
accessing semi-structured information.

Samwel Kongere will attend Africa Source II in Uganda in a week, so it's
interesting what they might suggest there.  (So I share my letter with
the Summer Source list, with the PmWiki list, and with our lab's working
groups http://groups.yahoo.com/group/globalvillages/ and

Thank you!

Andrius

Andrius Kulikauskas
Minciu Sodas
http://www.ms.lt
ms at ms.lt
+370 (5) 264 5950
Vilnius, Lithuania
skype: minciusodas

I include at the bottom our survey questions.
Here is data which Samwel collected from 10 people (he also has 10 more).

firstname:Omolloh
lastname:George
gender:Male
address:P.O Box 54 Mbita-Kenya
country:Kenya
telephone:
email: georgekenya2000-AT-yahoo.com
im: Yahoo (georgekenya2000)
bestreached:Through E-mail and postal address
bestlanguages: English and Kiswahili.
officialposition: Media and Data Analyst Udogo Youth Development Group
urls: http://kongere.tripod.com/udogo, http://omollogeorge.tripod.com,
checksemail: 4 days in a week 2 Days
onlinevenues:
onlinenetworks:Open leader forum
keyconcept:
keyquestion:
besthelped:  Educate me at tertiary level so that I would be able to
help others in Community Development
besthelpers: Samwel Kongere, Oriema Kaseme, OVCs, and widows
publicanswers: Yes
publicperson:Yes, if there is any otherwise get enquiries from me.
publicwritings: Later
representative: Samwel Kongere
profilecreated: 13th Thursday, October, 2005
profileupdated: 15th October 2005
profileuploaded: 16th October 2005

firstname:Jacob
lastname:O. Ogweno
gender: Male
address: P.O. Box 135 Mbita-40305
country: Kenya
telephone:
email: jacobogweno-AT-yahoo.com
im:
bestreached:Postal
bestlanguages: English
officialposition: Project Co-ordinator, Lake Victoria Permaculture
Net-work Initiatives
urls: N/A
checksemail: Once a month
onlinevenues:
onlinenetworks: Social Networks for Community development
keyconcept:  To work with the poor and disadvantage segments of the
community to enhance a participatory approach to development with a
vision of creating hope and happiness.
keyquestion:  How to relate the information and communication Technology
to develop the poor?
besthelped: Giving me training on community Work, financial support
besthelpers:  My Family, The orphans, The widows/widowers
publicanswers: Yes
publicperson: Should Request information first if there is an otherwise Yes
publicwritings: Depending on the urgency and need
representative: Samwel Okech Kongere
profilecreated: 10th October 2005
profileupdated:12th October 2005
profileuploaded: 13th October 2005
firstname:Ories
lastname:Kases
gender:Male
address:P.O Box 28 Mbita-Kenya
country:Kenya
telephone:
email: orieskasesokongo-AT-emailaccount.com
im: N/A
bestreached:Through E-mail and postal address
bestlanguages: English and Dholuo
officialposition: Resource mobilzer- Udogo Youth Development Group
urls: http://kongere.tripod.com/udogo
checksemail: 1 days in a week
onlinevenues:
onlinenetworks:Open leader forum through Samwel kongere
keyconcept: Pure professional attires to the development of my community
through sustainable community projects
keyquestion:  Why is there a very dig divide between the developed
countries and the developing?
besthelped:  Start a community based links for my community and have a
group based business for Udogo to Help the other coming young People
besthelpers: Samwel Kongere,  Orphans, and widows
publicanswers: Yes
publicperson:Yes, if there is any otherwise get enquiries from me or my
linking leader Samwel kongere, Ok
publicwritings: Get this permission later if there is
representative:  Samwel Kongere, George Omollo
profilecreated: 13th Thursday, October, 2005
profileupdated: 15th November 2005
profileuploaded:! 19th November 2005

firstname:Kenndy
lastname:O. Oraya
gender: Male
address: P.O. Box 128 Mbita-40305
country: Kenya
telephone:
email: kenoraya-AT-yahoo.com
im:
bestreached:Postal
bestlanguages: English
officialposition: Project peer educator udogo youth development group
urls: N/A
checksemail: Once a month or just for a while
onlinevenues:
onlinenetworks: Training of the youths and their development linking.
keyconcept:  To nurture the young and see that they don't fail in their
future ambitions
keyquestion:  The gap between the growth of technology as one was
telling me that what we are inventing here has been used widely for more
than twenty years, across the world.
besthelped: Giving children hope and survival
besthelpers:  Our group members, Samwel Okech Kongere, My Family, The
orphans, The widows/widowers
publicanswers: Yes
publicperson: Should Request information thro my email account if there
is any?
Ok
publicwritings: Depending on the urgency and need
representative: Samwel Okech Kongere
profilecreated: 10th October 2005
profileupdated:30th October 2005
profileuploaded: 12th November 2005

firstname:Caroline
lastname:Omollo
gender: Female
address: P.O. Box 309 Mbita-40305
country: Kenya
telephone:
email:
im:
bestreached:Postal
bestlanguages: English
officialposition: Project Women Leader udogo youth development group
urls: N/A
checksemail: N/A
onlinevenues:
onlinenetworks:  How to take care of the women
keyconcept:  The women has been left behind in so many ways here and
hope to have them steer themselves for the upcoming technologies
keyquestion:  Why our young girls and women don't have a taste to live
happy marriages!!!!
besthelped: Base my thoughts through an exposed way and may be have a
center for practice in terms of a community resource centre
besthelpers:  Our group members Samwel Okech Kongere, Faith Judy Omollo,
People living with Hiv/Aids, The widows/widowers and vulnerable children
publicanswers: Yes
publicperson: If there is any my link person should be informed. I don't
know much about computers, networks and internet is history to me
publicwritings: This can be verified later
representative: Samwel Okech Kongere
profilecreated: 12octomber 2005
profileupdated:30th October 2005
profileuploaded: 15th November 2005

firstname:Seline Atieno
lastname:Kisia
gender: Female
address: P.O. Box 128 Mbita-40305
country: Kenya
telephone:
email:
im:
bestreached:Postal
bestlanguages: English
officialposition: Project Women business Leader Udogo youth development
group
urls: N/A
checksemail: N/A
onlinevenues:
onlinenetworks:  Income generating busy mobilizer
keyconcept:  Although fellow young women are on the suit of lacking
business experience they should be given hope for excellent approaches
towards development.
keyquestion:  I can't imagine
besthelped: Start up a business stall for demonstration and profit
generating for the betterment of the women folk.
besthelpers:  People living with HIV/Aids  Our group leaders should be
exposured for more resource mobilization and professionalism
publicanswers: Yes
publicperson: Yes, I don't know much about computers, networks and
internet is history to me
publicwritings: This can be verified later as I go to the understanding
desk of my linkman
representative: Samwel Okech Kongere because he has brought me this good
idea about forums and net works
profilecreated: 11th October 2005
profileupdated:27th  October 2005
profileuploaded: 10th November 2005

firstname:Jackson Ochanda
lastname:Olal
gender: Male
address: P.O. Box 128 Mbita-40305
country: Kenya
telephone:
email:
im:
bestreached:Postal
bestlanguages: English
officialposition: Group Chairman/capacity building Udogo youth
development group
urls: N/A
checksemail: N/A
onlinevenues:
onlinenetworks:  Open Leader forum
keyconcept:  The community is in a mess and I would like to a resource
centre to nurture them and have and have sustainable nature towards our
future development.
keyquestion:  If there is any it should be community and sustainable
development
besthelped: Community centre and folk training
besthelpers:  Udogo Group members, Older women living with HIV/Aids
publicanswers: Yes
publicperson: Yes. It is when I wish to start computer lessons but don't
know much about networks and such like!!!
publicwritings: Although this Question looks tricky but hope to have a
concrete answer later for it.
representative: Samwel Okech Kongere he has been doing quite a lot of
linkage to so many channels and having him there can make our group and
me have the desired head through towards our goals.
profilecreated: 17th October 2005
profileupdated:30th  October 2005
profileuploaded: 13th November 2005

firstname:Evance
lastname:Ambasa
gender: Male
address: P.O. Box 128 Mbita-40305
country: Kenya
telephone:
email: ambasaevance-AT-yahoo.com
im:
bestreached:Postal
bestlanguages: English
officialposition: Youth recruitment leader Udogo youth development group
urls: N/A
checksemail: I get the help from the experienced people once a week
onlinevenues:
onlinenetworks:  Open Leader forum
keyconcept:  To have the youths see the future with changed opinion and
be good bavoural models in our society.
keyquestion:  The great digital divide we have all over the world.
besthelped: Position myself in the community become professional because
being too much ignorant makes the digital divide greater.
besthelpers:  Out of school youths and linking them with people like
samwel Kongere for the wealth of community development, nobody will come
to develop them unless they become forward themselves.
publicanswers: Yes
publicperson: Yes, Ok
publicwritings: Let me answer this later
representative: Samwel Okech Kongere
profilecreated: 14th October 2005
profileupdated:25th  October 2005
profileuploaded: 16th November 2005

firstname:Kenndy Ochieng
lastname:Otanyka
gender: Male
address: P.O. Box 191, Mbita-40305
country: Kenya
telephone:
email:
im:
bestreached:Postal
bestlanguages: English
officialposition: Youth Counseling leader Udogo youth development group
urls: N/A
checksemail: I don't check internet even though I am computer literate,
there is no much networking venues, the few which are presently here are
expensive to access and use. They are private
onlinevenues:
onlinenetworks:  Open Leader forum after going through with SAMWEL
keyconcept:  We are having increased number of Orphans and having them
without counseling them will make them a great spill off of hand
hooligans, they should be counseled to have great ambitions for their life.
keyquestion:  I can't say now but hope to have a great answer later.
besthelped: By starting a voluntary counseling centre here
besthelpers: Group leaders and coordinator
publicanswers: Yes
publicperson: Yes, Ok
publicwritings: Let me answer this later
representative: Samwel Okech Kongere
profilecreated: 14th October 2005
profileupdated:25th  October 2005
profileuploaded: 20th November 2005

firstname:David
lastname:Odhiambo Wakiaga
gender: Male
address: P.O. Box 128, Mbita-40305
country: Kenya
telephone:
email:
im:
bestreached:Postal
bestlanguages: English
officialposition: Member udogo youth Development
urls: N/A
checksemail: No Idea
onlinevenues:
onlinenetworks:  No Idea
keyconcept:  "Living an empty life here there is always hope for the
miserable".
keyquestion:
besthelped: Something for the People living with HIV/AIDS and the active
young people who can be beneficial to the hopeless infected.
besthelpers: The support group, Group leaders and coordinator
publicanswers: Yes
publicperson: Yes, Ok
publicwritings: Let me answer this later
representative: Samwel Okech Kongere
profilecreated: 9th October 2005
profileupdated:25th  October 2005
profileuploaded: 20th November 2005

Online Profile for Open Leaders

The purpose of these questions is to create your online profile. People
will then be able to find you on the Internet. They will learn how they
might help you help others. Also, they will learn what you care most
about in life, so they can help you grow strong. The stronger you are,
the better you might serve and lead others.

This survey is most useful if you place your answers in the Public
Domain. This means that you share your answers freely so that all may
use and share them according to their own best judgement, and without
needing to ask for your permission.

This survey also asks you to appoint one or more people to represent you
online. Such a person will have your permission to take the initiative
to update your answers, including your affiliation in online networks,
and to facilitate your participation in online venues.

Contact Information

First names: ............................

Last names: ............................

Gender (male or female): ............................

Mailing Address: ............................

Country: ............................

Telephones: ............................

Email: ............................

IM chat: ............................

What are the best ways to reach me?

What languages do I prefer to communicate in? (Please list in order of
preference.) ............................

What is the proper way to address me for official correspondence? What
is my position and affiliation? (Please list as many as might be
needed.) ........................................................

Internet Access

What websites relate to my work, if any? What are the Urls?

How often do I check my email? How many days go by between checks?

What online venues do I participate in, if any? (Venues might include
discussion groups, wikis, bulletin boards, blogs,
etc.)........................................................

What online networks (such as the Open Leader network) do I agree to be
affiliated with? ........................................................

Personal Outlook

Is there a concept, a value that I myself care most about in all of my
life? What is it? ........................................................

Is there a question that I don't know the answer to, but intend to
answer? What is it?

Practical Help

What would be the most useful way to help me help others?

Who are people that I would like us to help in their work to help other
people? (Please list in order of priority. Any contact information will
be kept confidential until they agree otherwise.)

Public Domain

Do I agree that my answers to this survey are in the Public Domain so
that all may use and share according to their own best judgement?

Do I agree that all of my writings which may appear on the Internet may
be assumed to be in the Public Domain unless they explicitly state
otherwise? ............................

(If you agree to the above two questions, then you are entitled to
membership in the Open Leader network.)

Are there any particular writings of mine that I agree to place in the
Public Domain and would like to have posted on the Internet? (Please

Online Representative

Who do I authorize to represent me in the online world and take the
initiative on my behalf to maintain and update these answers, make
contacts, share my thoughts, confirm affiliations and manage my
registrations to online venues? (Please rank them in order of priority.)

I first authorized my profile on this date: ............................

I have most recently confirmed my profile on this date:

My representative most recently updated my profile on this date: