Wiki-Spammers (was: [Pmwiki-users] pmwiki.org - version 1 - vandalised)

Thomas -Balu- Walter list+pmwiki-users
Tue Jan 11 20:42:40 CST 2005

On Tue, Jan 11, 2005 at 11:13:39PM +0100, Steffen Glückselig wrote:
> BTW I am strictly against captchas. Patrick has made some interesting
> points to this. As has already been noted, too, having captchas on all
> pages everytime would be quite anoying. I edit a lot in Wikis and having
> to decipher these captchas everytime would really slow me down,
> additionally I sometimes can not decipher them correctly. I would have to
> backup my edition to not lose it.

My idea was to combine a captcha with the X unapproved external links
concept. So you'd only have to decipher the captcha if you post more
than X links.

> I think the solution using a blacklist is quite convenient for the
> wiki-user (he does not notice at all, usually) and does work quite good.

I don't like blacklisting, because the chance that you hit real users is
somewhat big. E.g. I am getting a dynamic IP on every connect and since
I am connected to one of Germans biggest providers I get a lot of
different IPs.

In addition it might not even be too difficult to connect with some
spoofed IPs from a somewhat different network...

     Balu