[Pmwiki-users] page or group UPLOAD passwords.

Neil Herber nospam
Fri Jan 14 09:21:09 CST 2005

At 2005-01-14  08:32 AM -0600, Richard Geoffrion is rumored to have said:
>Am I missing something concerning password?  I am trying create a PUBLIC
>portion of the wiki site where anyone can upload a file or picture...only I
>can't seem to set the upload attribute for a page.
>
>after adding the ?action=attr to the end of a url, I'm only presented with
>options to edit the read, edit and attribute passwords.
>
>HELP?

Hi Richard

I have barely got PmWiki running myself, so take these comments with a
grain of salt ...

Uploads are either allowed or not allowed. With a default installation,
there is only one site-wide password for uploads, set in your config.php file.

Also, by default, the uploads are stored in per-group directories. You can
change that behavior to have either a single uploads directory (which is
advantageous if groups need to share uploads) or to have per-page uploads
directories (which sounds like madness to me!).

If you reconfigure PmWiki to have a single uploads directory, then it
doesn't even make sense to talk about "a public portion" - uploads can be
started from any page at all and they all end up in the same directory. The
upload is not really tied to the page used for bringing up the upload form.
In fact, you can initiate an upload from a non existent page! Just enter a
URL like this:

http://www.example.com/pathto/pmwiki.php/Main/NotHereAtAll?action=upload

This would put the upload in the Main group upload directory.  Note that
this is **not** recommended, because there are links on the upload form
that rely on the underlying page being there.

Neil

Neil Herber
Corporate info at http://www.eton.ca/
Tel: (613) 829-4668