[Pmwiki-users] Re: Idea for extension of special list syntax

chr@home.se chr
Sat Jan 22 09:33:59 CST 2005

On Fri, 21 Jan 2005, Patrick R. Michaud wrote:

> > An other "feasible" new feature I'd like to have is to let ordered list
> > markup handle an optional numeric argument giving the current item's list
> > value, so the following markup:
> >
> > #   item #1
> > ##3 item #2
> > ##  item #3
> > #6  item #4
> > #   item #5
>
> I think this is a nice idea -- two points:
>
> 1.  It could break any existing list items where the list item begins
>     with a digit (I don't know how big a deal this actually is)
>
> 2.  Would authors then expect to be able to do things such as ##A, ##a,
>     ##I, ##i  for alphabetic and roman numeral numbering?  If so, this
>     would compound the problem of the above point.  (Or is it
>     sufficient to simply say that one uses "##3 %roman%" to get "iii."?)

I also like the idea. As for the first point I have no idea either. As for
the second point, I wouldn't expect it .. (but maybe I would now:-)

However, I don't think it's used often enough to require such a compact
markup. Having to write something a bit more verbose like the following
wouldn't bother me:

	# item #1
	##(:item=3:) item #3.1
	## item #3.2