[Pmwiki-users] Re: Idea for extension of special list syntax

John Rankin john.rankin at affinity.co.nz
Tue Jan 25 20:12:40 CST 2005

On Wednesday, 26 January 2005 1:46 PM, Patrick R. Michaud <pmichaud at pobox.com> wrote:
>> The code would initially only have to handle items in levels one, two and
>> three - I suspect that'd be the majority of the cases anyway.
>
>It's pretty easy to make the code handle things at all levels.
>
>> >     *      Level 1 item
>> >            This is part of the level 1 item
>> >     ** Level 2 item
>> >     ** Level 2 item
>> >        This is part of the level 2 item
>> >            What is this?
>>
>> The last line should be preformatted text...
>
>As soon as we say it should be preformatted text the question will
>come from some authors as to "why isn't it a continuation of the level 1
>item"?  Half a feature is often more confusing and difficult to deal
>with than none-at-all.
>
>I'll concede that my example above is somewhat contrived and probably
>doesn't occur in the real world.

I have just encountered the following, possibly related, example.

I wanted a page that extracted pieces of an Act of Parliament,
with the following numbering scheme:

(a)

(b)

(ba)

(bb)

(bc)

(bd)

(c)

(ca)

(d)

My understanding is that ba, bb, bc, bd and ca are clauses added as
a result of an amendment, without changing the original numbering,
thereby preserving references to existing clauses in other Acts or
Regulations.

So conceptually, I needed a list markup that says:

- make this a new sublist

- include the parent number as a prefix

- use the same indentation as the parent

I know anything is possible. Any ideas how?

--
JR