correction! Re: [pmwiki-users] Make URLs not case sensitive?

Bronwyn Boltwood arndis at gmail.com
Sat Jan 29 11:41:45 CST 2005

On Fri, 28 Jan 2005 16:20:10 -0600, Patrick R. Michaud
<pmichaud at pobox.com> wrote:
> The theory I was working from was that we use the case in the URL
> when the page is created as the case to be used for the page's name.
> Thus  [[my Photoshop Page]] results in .../Main/MyPhotoshopPage?action=edit
> (exactly as it does now) and PmWiki stores "Main.MyPhotoshopPage" as
> the page's "real" name.

I like the current system just fine -- I can predict what it's going
to do with a pagename, and if I don't like it I can override it with a
(:title:). I often create links that use different capitalization than
I want the pagename to use.

I suggest a compromise.  I have text editors which can change case on
text automatically -- not just to upper or lower, but to Title Case or
Sentence case.  I suspect this magic is courtesy of regular
expressions.  How hard would it be to make regexp that makes page
names/titles display in Sentence case unless overriden by a (:title:),
and enable it $SentenceCasePages =1; or somesuch?  (If you're worrying
about how people know what to write to link to a page, include the
$Name as well as the $Title in the skin, which is what should be done
anyway.)

Then it would something the admin could decide about easily, just like
spacing WikiWords, Pm has less code to write (I hope -- no underscored
filesystem pagenames, at least), all other behaviour stays exactly the
same, and everyone's happy?

Bronwyn