[pmwiki-users] Re: pmwiki search, can I use regular expresssions in my search?

chr at home.se chr at home.se
Mon Jan 31 15:45:03 CST 2005

On Sun, 30 Jan 2005, Patrick R. Michaud wrote:

> > I realize that it may well be that wiki should not be supporting powerful
> > searches, and that some other tool ("Google Search for Wikis") may fit this
> > bill better. But just a thought.
>
> It's always been my feeling/position that PmWiki should focus on being a
> wiki, and that a site should select a dedicated search engine tool to be
> able to perform fast/complex searches (not to mention that such a tool
> can then index and search more than just the wiki content).

I don't agree with you here. My experience is that a good search mechanism
is necessary for the wiki to be useful. I keep forgetting on what page I
wrote something...

So I'd say that any wiki should make it easy to find the information you
are looking for. Btw, if we use an external search tool, how could I then
search for a specific instance of a markup? Wouldn't the search tool only
look at the generated HTML?

/Christian